Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Hand Foot & Mouth Disease ("HFMD")

It's not easy being a parent. I was busy with work yesterday (27 March 2006) and when I finally got out from teaching and reached my desk, I was worried like mad, as I have received an email from Gwendolyn's school that there is one Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease ("HFMD") outbreak in her class. Even though the child has immediately been isolated and sent home, however, Gwendolyn has been having HFMD-like symptoms since last week: Pimple-like spots on her backside, her 1st ulcer, got bitten by her classmate when both were snatching at the same toy (nothing too serious though, not bite mark) and started runny nose since Friday. I have been skeptical at her symptoms, but she acted normal, without showing tiredness, weakness or developing a fever, I thought there was no pressing need to visit the doctor. Finally, when I got the news, immediately, I pack up from work and rushed to her school, just to see her being "isolated" at the back room, away from other children. I understand from the school's point of view that the outbreak was from her class and she is being seen as under the "higher risk" group. Being isolated is good practice for the school, as they can't keep other children away from her. As I have mentioned in the earlier postings, her "fan club members" will rush to kiss and hug her whenever she arrives and leaves, it is not good hygiene practice to leave her wandering around for other kids to prey on.

When arriving at the doctor, I was worried that the doctor will not be able to diagnose her in detail, as she hates going to the doctor, except for bringing home "soup soup" (her medicine). Doctor Darryl has been patient with her ever since started seeing her. Each time, things get better and yesterday, he commented that this is the best and easiest dignostic session ever. She was so co-operative and it's just not the normal her. Why? Darryl showed her a "clapping monkey" and then an "aeroplane carousel". He taught her to play the "aeoplane carousel" by opening her mouth to make it turn, so that he can observe her ulcer. We changed her nappy on the "clinic bed", so that he can observe her nappy rash. That was really a very smooth process and in the end, she was diagnosed to be clear from HFMD. What a relief. However, we are still required to keep a vigilant monitor on her, just in case. Only if the Ministry of Health has announced that the epidemic is over, I will still be worried...




Hand, Foot And Mouth Disease (HFMD)

Press release by the Ministry of Health, Singapore on 19 March 2006
http://www.moh.gov.sg/corp/about/newsroom/pressreleases/details.do?id=36700167

FAQs on Hand, Foot And Mouth Disease

http://www.moh.gov.sg/corp/about/faqs/illness/details.do?cid=cat_faqs_illness_hfm&id=8257620

Watch Gwendolyn Grow

Watch Geraldine Grow